WARNING: This one rambled into preachy!
Sorry guys, life has kept me away from the blog. The rains slowed things, then fall break and being out of town kept me away from the computer. I'll try to get back into the swing of it, but things are very busy at work and church and honestly, some days I just don't feel like coming home and typing/reliving the events of the day. That said, MANY changes have been made since the first of October. I was shocked that it had been that long since an update!
First things first, some of you that have to deal with me personally on a daily basis know that the past few weeks have brought several construction frustrations. I am a vocal person and a storyteller, so I have to spread the word when something doesn't go my way. Some might call that a fault, but it is simply a personality trait that sometimes gets me into trouble. Anyway, I realized I had been a bit too vocal about a few things when I read Morgan's request on our prayer request board "that Mom and Dad not be disappointed in the house." Oh how God can spank you through the words of your children. We've tried so hard to teach the kids how this house is His and a blessing to us to be able to live there for a while. Yet the message I was conveying to her was that it wasn't enough or it wasn't just right and therefore I was disappointed. It was easy enough to explain to her that it wasn't the HOUSE that mommy was upset about but things regarding construction that weren't always turning out the way I expected. She understands that, but I obviously opened the door wide for the enemy to start picking away at any and everything that would bother me regarding the house. By Wednesday night, I was ready to snap someone's head off and walk away from it all. Then a friend unknowingly taught me a valuable lesson about what is really important, and this house is far down the list. I showed up this evening with a brand new attitude and prospective and as if to put his stamp of reassurance on the whole thing, the first thing the kids and I spotted was the cross on the steps. Yes, it is a simple gap in the block, but it is front and center on the front porch steps and the only one of its kind anywhere on the block work. It just jumped out at the me and the kids when we walked up to the house. I don't believe in coincidences. It was nice to see. That is why I love an awesome God, because I believe he takes the time to leave us a little note to remind us to honor him.
My intent this evening was to be short and sweet, so now that the sermon is over... lol
Fall break began with a break in the weather that allowed us to get a couple of good cleaning days in. We spent one day cleaning up wire and sweeping the main floor. A few days later, the electrician thanked Ray and told him that they usually do that when they are done. Ok, they are done and the upstairs still needs to be done. I guess they just assumed we had finished up there as well. That is the next project in all our free time, which needs to happen before drywall goes up. We spent another day on the outside getting shingles, siding, nails, plastic, etc. cleaned and hauled off or burned. The construction beagle worked very hard throughout the day.
So hard, in fact, that she finally just collapsed on the trash pile.
While we were getting ready to leave town, the home passed plumbing and electrical rough-in inspections so we're moving right along. While we were cleaning, they were putting finishing touches on the deck in the back. I love the design of the railing, and that this baby is as solid as a tree. The entire youth group can lean on this rail and it will go nowhere. It quickly became my favorite room in the house!
While we were out of town, the fireplace was delivered and installed. The logs are still in the box, but the rest of it is in.
This week, the columns were installed... some of them twice. I love the way they lined up perfectly on the front between the windows and framing the front door. Maybe Ray is right and I am into the symmetrical look. I took pictures, but it was getting dark and I was on the road so they weren't good enough to post. You'll have to just visualize it until the next blog update.
The front and side steps were also completed this week. It is fun to get to walk up the steps and into the house now.
Finally, this evening the insulation was being installed. The girls were so impressed with the guy on stilts doing the installation. The house looked very different with "walls". It was almost... I can't even think of the word to describe it. Ray joking said, "tiny." I don't think so. I can't imagine what the drywall will do to it.
That is it for this evening, hope you've enjoyed the update and it isn't so long until the next one. Remember to be thankful for what really matters and don't get lost in the unimportant details of your busy life.









2 comments:
Loved your update! Thanks for sharing this with us.
What a precious love note from an AWESOME God....and how perfect to find it front and center, the foundation of your home....
blessings,
~twinshiner
Post a Comment