Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 196.. Week 28

Hello everyone. We've had our first snow on the house. Not a lot, but enough to take a picture. Marshall was the photographer on this cloudy day... I didn't go. I just noticed that the dirt pile in the front has been cut away enough to see the whole house from the front. A lot has happened since the last post, it has just happened VERY slowly. The most shocking part of this build is that with all the subs talking about how hard it is to find work, they still don't show up to do the jobs they have so they can get paid. This experience has not been a bad one, it has just not moved the way I expected since everyone stopped working on Black Friday. It is like a movie that is really good, has a great plot and great moments, but has a few scenes that are just TOO slow and really should have been deleted. You know what I mean?

Anyway, some of the changes include the electricians showing up. You can not imagine all the words and sentences that are flying through my head that I'm refusing to type into the blog... I mean, what is the point really? That bible lesson on complaining and how God hates grumblers could not have come at a better time. OK, I'm rambling... sorry. SO, the electricians have been.... ummm... working. At one point while "talking" to them, I think the other subs were hiding in the next room... in fact, I'm pretty sure of it. lol I felt like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Thoroughly irritated and done with YOU discussion in one room, then walking into the next smiling, thanking them (the other subs) for what a good job they were doing. It was funny, even to me... you had to be there. I'm trying now to focus on the positive and let go of what I don't have any control. Seriously, work has to be my priority right now... which is why I wanted the whole house thing done by now... and I don't have time to worry about it. I'm not even asking for a move in date... none of them have been true so why ask to be lied to. I figure when the carpet goes in and the landscaping is done, we'll be almost there. So don't ask me when we're moving... just ask, "Is the carpet in?" That will tell you where we are. Don't even ask WHEN they are installing carpet, since that date has been changed three times I haven't set a new one. I'll just let you know when it is installed. I'll even take time to post a picture. Back to the electricians, here is some of their handywork this week.



I'd show you the chandelier, but we're waiting for the broken pieces to be replaced. All the lights and plugs were to be working by last Wednesday or Thursday. Hmmmm.
The tile guys are finished. I realized that I didn't have a picture of the finished shower, so I'll have to post that next time. I do have a pic of the bath surround. I am happy with the finished products from the tilers... just not the timeline or the mess. They did pretty much clean up after themselves though... and would have done the best job of all the subs cleaning had there been a dumpster on the property. Wow, I'm really working on the complaining thing... really!
No, it isn't all slanted, it is just the photographer.. I was in between cabinets. Speaking of the cabinets, they have been installed. I'm very happy with my cabinets. In fact, one of my new favorite things about the house would have to be the pantry. Here are some of the cabinets and vanities that have been installed.

my pantry

girls' vanity

closed pantry in kitchen

the kids playing with the lazy susans in the dark... their favorite part

In addition to the cabinets, the hardwood has been laid. You can't tell what it looks like because every centimeter of it is covered with dusty footprints, but it is down, for the most part. We put down very wide protective paths for subs to walk on across it and they still marched repeatedly across the wood missing all the paths. You have to save those extra 4 steps. Oh, I also loved watching subs THROW their tools across the floor into a pile. Then there was the time I walked in to find a foot long puddle of water standing on the wood floor that none of the 5 guys in the house seemed to have any idea where it could have come from.... nor did they attempt to help clean it up. I'm not complaining, just stating facts.
Moving on... what else, oh, the steps off the deck were installed. The girls have claimed the area behind the steps and up under the deck as a clubhouse of sorts. They want to install a zipline to get to the basement. Sure.

In addition, we've had a lot of cleaning, gravel-dumping, ground-leveling and wood cutting moments, but it is time to get ready for Upward basketball. Maybe next time I'll show you the carpet! Until then, I'm just waiting on God to say, "ok, it is move-in time!" I hope it is soon because some of the lessons from this build have been slightly painful and frustrating. If you will be building soon, breathe deeply, join a yoga class, throw away your calendar and pray... better pray first. ;o)

No comments: