Saturday, January 23, 2010

Two In One Day?

Yes, I'm the mad blogger today! Mad in a good way, not angry. We worked at the house after ballgames today. There was some accomplished, but much more to do tomorrow after church. The best part of the day was getting to spend time with my two favorite subs. My cabinet guy and my trim guy. I've decided that the secret to professionalism is singularity. Both guys work alone. All the others that drive me nuts work in groups. I guess groups equal some kind of mob mentality... I don't know. Anyway, I had to update because they switched things up and told me to order carpet today. In other words, that whole, "is the carpet in," advice I gave you earlier today won't work now. I was told that I'd, "be surprised at how quickly it will all come together now." "Pleasantly" was implied before "surprised" I'm sure. ;o) It was exciting seeing things rolling again... the only bad thing is that I'm having to bring tilers in to fix/change something... or I'm going to do it myself... or convince my brother-in-law he wants to do it... any of the above will work.

The picture above shows an example of how I was expecting the entire house to be built. Let me paraphrase... (these aren't exact quotes but you'll get the drift...

Mary - (Looking at the 1/2 inch gap between where the hardwood ends and the bookcase begins.) I don't like that. Can we pull it out and lay another strip of wood under it?
Contractor - No, you don't want to do that. We can put a piece of trim there and it will be fine.
Mary - I don't want trim, it won't look good.
Contractor - It will be fine. There is trim all around the room. It will tie in. We CAN pull it out but that will take time and.....................................................................................
Mary - Fine (I'm such a wuss sometimes.)

Trim guy was hearing the conversation. I left to talk to the cabinet guy and came back about 40 minutes later and the trim guy was putting the cabinet back in. He had taken them both out, laid the wood and put them back. I asked Ray what he was doing and he said, "he told me he was 'making momma happy'." Wasn't that great? One simple job and he made my week. I'm not too hard to please. ;o)

No comments: