Lots of excitement since our last update. The house is definitely larger than it appeared on paper! It grows every day. Monday, the power company finally came through with new poles and power. The framers are happy because they don't have to listen to the roar of the generator... and I'm happy because I don't have to pay the rental for it.
The poles look like they are standing out there to be an eyesore, but eventually the barn will block them. I haven't looked to see if they left a hole when they moved one. Moving the one by the road did open up our view when pulling out of the driveway.
....
Footers were poured for the porch and deck. The porch looks smaller and the deck looks much larger than I thought it would, but again, nothing has ended the way I pictured it so that means nothing. The kids can't wait for the basement steps to be put in. I don't know why that is so exciting, but they were all disappointed to hear that those steps are at the bottom of the framers' to do list. I did learn how things make the priority cut though when they asked about them and heard, "those steps aren't holding anybody up." That makes sense. The only work left in the basement is by us and we don't need the steps to get down there.
....
Footers were poured for the porch and deck. The porch looks smaller and the deck looks much larger than I thought it would, but again, nothing has ended the way I pictured it so that means nothing. The kids can't wait for the basement steps to be put in. I don't know why that is so exciting, but they were all disappointed to hear that those steps are at the bottom of the framers' to do list. I did learn how things make the priority cut though when they asked about them and heard, "those steps aren't holding anybody up." That makes sense. The only work left in the basement is by us and we don't need the steps to get down there.
One big accomplishment is that Ray, Steve (framer boss) and Kevin (builder) finally came to a solution for the dog/laundry room that all could agree on and be somewhat happy. Ray is happy anyway. ;o) Those darn codes were messing with his master plan.
We have had a funny moment this week. We were debating the stairs with the framer and my solution was to move the front door off center by a couple of inches. Being the good man he is, Steve agreed to do it. As he was agreeing, he looked to be in a lot of pain and walked away. I told Ray, "he isn't at all happy with this." I chased him down to discuss more and he said he'd do it as long as we never told anyone who had framed it. lol I'm thinking, "what is an inch here or there... no one will even notice" and poor Steve is frantic about someone wondering who the idiot is that can't center a door. I told him I'd carve a waiver into the wall that said, "Owner's choice," but in the end we settled with a centered door. Obviously Steve has never worked with the "half bubble off" crew as we lovingly call ourselves.
Here is the house as we left it today. When I uploaded the picture I thought it was awesome that the girls were under their rooms. Then I realized they were under one another's room.
Tomorrow, the garage floor will be poured and I don't know what else. I'm very apprehensive about the garage and the grading and landscaping to be done around the back corner of the house. It is at a perfect grade right now and I don't want it all messed up. I'm sure that it will be fine, others have a better vision than I do. All I can think is that the deck better not block my view!
Girls' favorites in the past week or so....
Morgan: seeing the progress every day
Sarah: that I was able to get down out of it (mom: this was a milestone because she had to climb down onto the garage wall, then jump onto the ground. Problem... she is scared of heights (unless on a rollercoaster) and when she looked to climb down, she was seeing the big hole that handn't been backfilled. She was seeing a 7 foot drop for a 2 foot step). Also, getting to see them lift up and place an entire wall at once in Morgan's room.
Visit us again!


1 comment:
I'm loving it. lol I can just hear the conversation between you & the framer about the door.
The progress is amazing. So glad they got the power in, that will make life easier.
Thank you again for the updates.
Post a Comment